February 3, 2012

How-To: No-Sew Caftan


For all of our non-sewers and sewers alike, here is a DIY caftan you can make without sewing skills. Caftans are free-flowing long tunics that originated in the middle east centuries ago. They have re-emerged throughout fashion history many times, most notably in the late 60's-early 70's (think Mrs. Roper and Maude). I, myself, LOVE a modern day caftan for lounging, relaxing, or accessorizing and wearing out.


Sewers can sew instead of use the tape I show, and feel free to play with different fabrics and the depth of your slits and arm holes. Really light, airy fabrics or silk give a really sexy look.



CARE: Most caftans (due to the fabric) are hand wash or spot clean. The trade off with the no-sew caftan is that the tape means a bit more time is necessary for care. I recommend spot cleaning with the no-sew option. Replace the tape with a straight stitch if you want to throw your caftan in the washing machine.

3 comments:

Charlotte said...

that looks really pretty with a belt - and sooo easy! Thanks Meg!

Devex said...

That's sooo nice! I guess that my friends would be happy when i share this with them! :) Really good work :)

Download Kids Doodle Pro Apk said...

awesome I put-off buying this for months,