April 2, 2009

The Pixies Are Still My Favorite Band


While watching Pump Up The Volume, circa 1991, I heard a song that changed my life. The Pixies song, 'Wave of Mutilation' played during a pretty emo scene of the Christian Slater flick, and it made me go out and buy the soundtrack the very next day. This soundtrack introduced my 11-year-old self to The Pixies, The Descendents, Beastie Boys, Sonic Youth, and Bad Brains, thus changing my life.


It's been almost two decades (egads!) and The Pixies are still my all-time favorite band. If you, for some crazy reason, don't listen to them, I HIGHLY recommend all of their albums. Please push play on your boom box and report back.

4 comments:

Amie said...

Oh, I LOVE this movie! :D I watched it... about 100 times.
And the soundtrack is awesome :)

Sarah Slade said...

Words cannot describe how much I love the Pixies. My five year old daughter thinks "Debaser" is a lullaby, she's heard it so often...

Kim Deal and her sister Kelley are still going strong(ish) as The Breeders, and released a new album last year that is worth checking out if you like wacky songs in German and beautifully dissonant guitars

rudified said...

I love Beastie Boys & Sonic Youth. The Yeah Yeah Yeah's did a Diamond Sea cover and M.I.A. incorporated, Pixies', "Where is my mind?" in her 20 dollar song.

Unknown said...

Hey there, I have a great interview with The Pixies very own, Joey Santiago. Hoping this catches on with Pixie fans as he is a very private guys, and this is a really funny interview with him, and a great chance to get to know him better. Please post, blog, or do whatever you can to share this with other Pixie fans. Thanks! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3WsZq7ESV4