October 31, 2007

Rosie the Riveter Costume

Nest's mothership is having some personal issues right now, creating problems with uploading photographs. They are aware of the problem and are fixing it soon. My apologies for the delay. New entries are all ready to be posted once this issue is resolved.

Until then, Happy Halloween!

Vote
DIY Rosie the Riveter
DIY Rosie the Riveter

modmeg

modmeg

Outfit Deets

navy jumpsuit:

Atlantis thrift store on Hope St. in Williamsburg, Brooklyn for $20

red kids jacket:

$5, Salvation Army

chunky boots:

$15 previously thrifted for my Nancy Spungen costume the year before

The story behind the look: AKA the 'We can do it!" poster woman. Totally thrifted, I found the perfect navy blue jumpsuit at a nearby shop, Atlantis Thrift on Hope and Havemeyer. It was originally an extra large men's jumpsuit, so I added darts and took in the back. It ended up fitting really well. We found the red polka dot fabric as a little girl's jacket and reconstructed the fabric as a head scarf. Chunky work boots were thrifted and my sweet fiance` scanned the actual image from Rosie's collar emblm and printed it out for me. We laminated it and attached a pin. This touch along with the accurate polka dot print really made the outfit. I used eyeliner to widen and my brows and my boyfriend's belt to cinch the waist.

No comments: