January 17, 2007

hand-me-downs

i'm a fan of the hand-me-downs.
a) they're free
b) i'm giving a second life to something that is already in my family
c) there's often a great story, anecdote, or weird history to the hand-me-down
d) i am filling my home with things that have sentimental attachment & personality.
below are a few of my favs....



my dad actually made this amazing lamp in high school shop class with different shades of old wood. crazy. coach is a talented man, and i reap the benefits. the jerks that moved will & i from manhattan to brooklyn broke off a chunk, which made me very sad. but i wedged it back, and the lamp stands on its own. it's from brooklyn now. it can take it.



my nana & papa's bowling bags, balls, pin & nana's bowling shoes. they have our bowling balls and shoes in them and we actually bring the bags when we bowl. i have nana's old bowling ball and it has her name 'Bobby', short for Roberta, engraved in it. useful storage and pretty rad looking.



again (and this will happen a lot) my favorite items are from nana & papa. this owl always sat on their screened-in porch, where we spent a LOT of time. i always looked at him and loved him. nana let me have yet another relic of her lovely life and he now works as a book-end in our 'book nook'. nana reminds me of a wise old owl herself. she always knows the ne, succint, short response that will cut right to the crux of the matter.
*note: the Archie comics. my sister, lauren, and i would read volumes of archie comics each summer. we partically loved the betty & veronica digests and would swap and trade them. not gonna lie, i still read them from time to time. that archie andrews (THANKS, LOLO) never let's you down. and never DID make up his mind about betty or veronica, did he?

No comments: